Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Dr. Stein's Chronicles

The Beginning


As I am now entering the world of the blogosphere, I cannot help but to think back to chronicle the events that brought me here. It was a cold night in December, 2004 (I really do not remember if it was cold or in December but it sounded good) and my cellphone rang. It was one of my patients who had undergone a laparoscopic right colon resection for a large polyp in the cecum and appendix. He was a few months out from surgery and he was doing great. He asked me if I was willing to speak with a colleague of his who was trying to get a foundation off the ground. I said sure.............. my life would never be the same.



I spoke with Bobby Smith and became involved in Susie's Cause. Together we designed websites, established the mission and I was fortunate enough to meet David Cohan. His passionate and articulate plea that no one desrved to die from colon cancer and suffer like his daughter had resonated within me. It was then I decided I would do everything I can to help this fledgling foundation grow. It was soon afterwards that we decided to combine interactive learning with the energy of teenagers, and the concept of The Save Our Parents Program was born.


Throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico The Save Our Parents Program has galvanised teens to educate their parents and loved ones about screening for colorectal cancer. Featured on the news and on morning shows, this program placed a unique stamp on Susie's Cause, and with each successful program, Susie's Cause repuation as a grass roots organziation that gets involved at the patient level has grown.


In the coming months, as a blogger for Susie's Cause, I will attempt to provide important or interesting information related to GI Health. Although alot of the information will be related to Colon and Rectal Cancer, I will discuss other topics as well. Even for me, there is a limit as to how often I can write about the colon.